Thursday 26 March 2015

Filming slow motion shots

To film the slow motion shots of the shattering porcelain I borrowed a JVC GC-PX100 which has several high frame rate settings.  The downside to having a high frame rate is that the resolution and therefore the quality of the footage decreases.  I decided to film at 250fps as this meant that I could slow the footage down to 10% and still have the best possible quality. 


Due to the obvious potential risks of shattering porcelain, both to myself and to the equipment, I carefully considered the camera setup.  Luckily the JVC GC-PX100 has optical zoom feature meaning that I could film from a distance away from the shatter area with the camera zoomed in and not compromise quality.  I was also careful in my practice, though there was little danger to me because I was throwing the porcelain ornaments away from me, so I was a distance away from the shattering.  
After filming I was very careful to sweep up all the little shards because I didn't want it to present a risk to other users of the green room, as I know that other students sometimes film barefoot.  

No comments:

Post a Comment